Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Letter 10: Some Misunderstood or Misinterpreted Statements of Jesus


Some Misunderstood or Misinterpreted Statements of Jesus

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the Prophecy of E-sa’-ias, which saith, by hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
—Matthew 13:13–14
Rev. Franklin Graham:

       In this letter, I like to draw your attention to some of the statements in the Gospel where many of my missionary friends found clear indication to believe Jesus and God were one and the same and to worship them both as one God. But when I studied them myself, I felt the true meaning of those statements of Jesus got somehow distorted, after he left.  
But before I go into that, I should mention first two important criteria of Jesus’ way or style of teaching. His teaching about God and His guidance was both transparent and ambiguous. The message in some of his statements was absolutely plain, simple and easily understood by the scholars or illiterate alike. But some of them were complicated and confusing for the common and ordinary people to grasp their inherent meaning. Let me explain this difference with Jesus’ own statements in the Gospel.

Clear and Conclusive Verses

And Jesus answered him [a Jewish scribe], The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel, the LORD our GOD is ONE LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy GOD with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. (Mark 12:29–30)

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)

And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. (Mark11:22)

        The message of the above-quoted verses is clear and conclusive and therefore it is understood by the scholars and the illiterates alike.

Complicated and Confusing Verses

         The Gospel also contains many statements of Jesus that are allegorical or metaphorical in nature, and therefore, the meaning or the implication of those verses seemed to be complicated and confusing to most of his common and ordinary followers.  So, they got easily misled when the shrewd and ill- motivated people misinterpreted those verses in their own way to suit their own purpose. The verses below fall in this category.

I and my Father are one. (John 10:30)

         I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.    (John 14:6)
                
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. (John 14:9) 

Reverend, I will now try to explain those misunderstood or misinterpreted verses and try to look for their inherent or underlying message that Jesus left in them for our reflection. I’ll of course, explain them as I understood myself from the study of the Gospel as well as other authentic books written by the eminent scholars both Muslims and Christians.  Let me begin first with the verse 30 in John 10, which my missionary friends often quoted to prove Jesus and God were one and the same.

I and my Father are one. (John 10:30)

 I will try to explain this verse in reference to the context. Jesus said it when he faced an unpleasant encounter with the Jews on Solomon’s porch in the temple of Jerusalem. They gathered around him and began to ask him persistently to tell them whether he was the Christ or not. (John 10:22–38) But Jesus, being an inspired messenger of God, knew very well of their true motive and intention and why they were insisting him on telling something which they already knew to be true. He also understood that the Jews did not want to accept him as the promised Messiah of God, due to their low faith and also for their drifting away from the path of God. Therefore, to test their faith and to expose their true motive, Jesus said to them certain things that made the intention of their hearts quite clear.

In reply to the Jews’ suspicion of him and his mission, Jesus said to them, a little sarcastically, that they surely would have known him by this time if they were his sheep, meaning his true followers. By this statement, he told them indirectly but undoubtedly who he really was and why he was sent for.


             In John 10:27–29, Jesus mentioned to the Jews about his true followers’ unconditional faith and submission to God and to His commands, which he taught them to guide to His Path.  In this connection, he also said to them that in return to his followers’ absolute faith and submission to God, he had ensured eternal life for them. At this point, some of my missionary friends asked me how Jesus could ensure eternal life for his followers if he were not God?

In reply to their question, I used to tell them that Jesus was a true messenger of God and because of that, he knew perfectly well what the people needed to do to have an eternal life in heaven. On the basis of that, Jesus had no doubt in his mind that all his true followers would have eternal life since they tried to live their life through keeping the  commands of God that he taught them. As Jesus helped them to reach their goal through his guidance, he said to the Jews that it was him (as if), who gave them eternal life.   

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all          

             We shall now check what Jesus said to those aggressive Jews before he made that comment in John 10:30. He said to them: My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. (John 10:29).

             In this verse, Jesus declared to them openly that his Father was greater than all. After this clear confession, how could he claim himself being equal to God in the very next verse for his saying: “I and my Father are one?” But the Jews, who were mostly ignorant, arrogant, selfish, and apprehensive of Jesus’ true mission, obviously failed to understand the inherent meaning of his claim and began to throw stones at him on the charge of blasphemy.
           

            But in spite of that, Jesus tried to bring the hostile Jews back to their senses by reminding them of a verse in the Old Testament, where God addressed His messengers as gods.


          It is interesting to note here that in Psalm 82:6, “gods” was written with a lowercase “g,” but for whatever reason, it began with an uppercase G when it was put in Jesus’ mouth in the verse 34 in John 10.
Jesus quoted this verse as a reminder to the Jews, so that they could not charge him with blasphemy for claiming himself as the “Son of God”. Jesus also wanted them to think why would he compare him with his predecessors if he really meant that he and God were one and the same? 

The Father is in me, and I in him. (John 10:38).

The Jews might have accepted his explanation but could not, because while talking to them about his works which he always tried to do by the inspiration of God, Jesus said to them again, that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

The Jews who were too impatient or too shallow to look for its inherent meaning, misunderstood him once again, became more aggressive, and tried to get hold of him but could not, because this time, Jesus  managed to escape to a safer place, as a sensible human being would have done against the assault of a hostile mob.

Now, we shall check what did Jesus really mean when he said, I and my Father are one or the Father is in me and I in him?

In fact, verses 30 and 38 are metaphorical in nature. Jesus tried to convey to them something different or deeper than its apparent meaning. He wanted them to understand his intimate and unique relation with God that he always had felt inside him since he knew his virgin mother conceived him absolutely by the will and the command of God. Besides that, he was also a self-surrendered messenger of God and he submitted himself completely to fulfill His purpose on earth, as he mentioned in John 17:3.

In that case, it is understood that when Jesus said to them,  I and my Father are one,  or My Father is in me and I in him, he meant himself being one or the same with God in fulfilling His purpose. In other word, for his total submission and obedience to God, Jesus always felt himself being united with God to accomplish His will or command on earth. If Jesus meant himself God or His equal, as the suspicious Jews allegedly thought of him, why would he say to them a moment before, My Father is greater than all?
             Reverend, in spite of that clear confession, if you and your people want to claim that Jesus made those statements to mean himself God or His equal, in that case, I would like to request you all to ponder over a little with Jesus’ prayer to God in John 17:21. In this heart rendering supplication to God Jesus begged Him most humbly to make his beloved disciples be united with them, meaning him and his Father, as one.

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us… (John17:21)

Exact number of God: one, two, three or fifteen?

Reverend, can you please tell me honestly what could happen, if twelve of Jesus’ disciples be united with God and Jesus as one, fulfilling his prayer? I mean, if Jesus could be your God for his saying, I and my Father are one, or that the Father is in me, and I in him, the same way his twelve disciples could also be your Gods after their being united with Jesus and his Father as one. There is of course the Holy Ghost or the Holy Spirit to add with them, too.  
At this point, a sensible and open-minded person would like to know what is the exact number of Gods that you worship as One God? Is it one, two, three or fifteen?
I think, this type of undesirable questions arise when people worship God according to the invented doctrines of men by ignoring the crystal clear commands of God that they still read and teach in their own Holy Book. (Duet 6:4-5), (2 Samuel 7:22),(Isaiah 45:21), (Matthew 4:10) and (Mark 12:29-30),   
           We will now examine other verses of the Gospel, where Jesus’ followers find clear proofs to worship him as God or along with God.

I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Reverend, in verse 6 of John 14, Jesus has claimed:  I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me.
My missionary friends used to quote this verse in support of Jesus’ being equal to God. But, I used to tell them that it were not Jesus alone, all the chosen messengers of God were in fact the way, the truth, and the life to their people. Then I said to them explaining that God made Himself and His Path known to the people through His Messengers who He sent to them one after another along with His guidance. It was only through them, their people came to know about the life after death, the existence of heaven and hell and the Day of Judgment. It was only the messengers of God who told their people repeatedly what they should do to have eternal life in heaven and what not to do to save them from the fire of hell. In that sense, Jesus whom God sent to his people along with His guidance and who told them clearly and categorically what they needed to do to meet God in heaven, could rightly claim that no one would go to his Father but through him.

I think, it is like meeting with the president in the White House through his personal attaché. But, if that man claims no one could go to the president but through him, it certainly does not mean that he wanted us to believe him and the president as one and the same.

he that hath seen me hath seen the Father.  (John 14:9).

My missionary friends used to quote this verse to prove Jesus meant him God when he said who had seen him had seen his Father. But I used to tell them that it also belonged to the same kind of metaphorical statement as “the Father is in me, and I in him” or like the one I just explained above. Let us examine what Jesus really meant by his claim in John 14:9.  

I believe, that by seeing God through him, Jesus actually meant that his people who truly believed in one and eternal God and also tried to live through keeping His Commands that he preached and practiced himself, would go to heaven where they could see God with their own eyes. As Jesus knew for certain that it was through following his guidance, they would meet God in heaven, he claimed whoever saw him  would see God in heaven. By this comment, Jesus also wanted his people to reflect and realize what could happen to them who saw him but did not obey him or follow his path that he showed to them fulfilling the command of God.

If Jesus really meant himself God for his saying Whoever has seen me has seen the Father, he definitely would not make that statement in John 5:37 where he said clearly that no one could ever hear the voice of God, nor could see His shape. I mean, if Jesus and God were one and the same, then how could this description match with Jesus who were heard and seen by multitudes during his life time?

On Jesus’ Forgiving People’s Sin

Reverend, we shall now check the verse in Mathew 9:2 where my missionary friends found clear evidence in support of Jesus’ deity.
“Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.”(Matthew 9:2).
According to the explanation of my missionary friends, there was none but God who could forgive our sin. Since Jesus forgave the sin of the man sick with palsy, they took him for God. But when I read this verse, I understood its meaning much differently.
          The man in question was sick with an incurable disease and he was a sinner, too. But after he suffered for a long time, God, out of His own mercy, wanted to make him free from both his sin and sickness. He empowered Jesus to do it only to glorify him in the eyes of his people, so that they could believe and obey him as His messenger. If Jesus really knew he was God and he could forgive sin like God, why did not he tell the man straight, I forgive thy sin, instead of telling him thy sins be forgiven thee?
There are other statements in the Gospel (Mark 6:5) which also tell us that except for healing a few sick people by the touch of his hand, Jesus was unable to perform any powerful work in his hometown. Not only that, he also failed to restore eyesight to a blind man at the first attempt. He needed a second try to cure him. (Mark 8:23-25)
          If Jesus were God, as you claim, his power would never fail and he would not need a second try to cure the blind.

Before Abraham was, I am. (John 8:58).

It is another misunderstood or misinterpreted statement of Jesus where he said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am.
Jesus said it to the Jews who were still suspicious of his true status or mission and were not yet ready to accept him as the promised Messiah of God.
One of my missionary friends explained that Jesus said “I am” to mean he was God, because in Exodus 3:14, God has declared His name as “I AM.” So, my friend expected me to believe that it was a clear indication in favor of Jesus’ being equal or co-eternal with God.

             But I found, it was another metaphorical statement of Jesus which had nothing to do with the “I AM” in Exodus. If Jesus really used it to mean himself God, the translators of the Bible would gladly copy each letter of it in upper case, as we find it written in the book of Exodus. I thought it might be a slip of tongue, Jesus said “I am” when he meant to say “I was.”
          But when I told it to my missionary friend, he asked me back very politely, how could I explain that when we know Jesus was sent long after Abraham?
“I wish I knew how the chronology of God’s chosen messengers is being maintained in the celestial world where the question of time and date does not exist. The Muslims however, believe that God has created first the light or the spirit of Muhammad long before He created Adam, though he was sent last of all messengers. May be, the light or the spirit of Jesus and of all his predecessors were made right after Muhammad in the similar pattern meaning from back to top which finally ended with Adam who was sent first as the father of the mankind. In that sense, Jesus was right, when he said, he was before Abraham was. So, what do you think of that?”
“I appreciate your imagination. But as a true Christian, I take my faith seriously. We only believe what Jesus has said in the Gospel.”

“Do you really? Then, how could you believe that by saying “I am” Jesus claimed himself God by denouncing the eternal truth of the first commandment that he preached and practiced himself all through his life?
But keeping my question to myself, I said to him, “You are right. We should take the words of our Holy Books seriously. And as far as I know both our Holy Books-the Bible and the Quran tell us clearly that except God there is none who could be His equal or co-eternal with Him. But if Jesus really meant,” I tried to add, “that he was with God as His unexpressed word or command “Be” until he was born, in that case, he might claim himself  senior to Abraham.     

Reverend, Now, a long time after my conversation with my missionary friend, I feel myself quite happy to share with you an important piece of discovery related to this claim of Jesus in John 8:58.  From further study, I luckily came to know that in the Syriac Peshitta Version of the Bible, which is considered as one of the oldest known versions, John 8:58 reads, Before Abraham was, I was.
But I wish I could also tell you how or since when this “I was” got replaced by “I AM,”-the name of the God in Exodus and then it got tagged with the name of Jesus to make him co-eternal with God?

Test of Faith

Reverend, many a time I’ve asked myself wondering why Jesus made those statements when he knew that might confuse his own followers or deviate them from the eternal truth of the first commandment of God? I can of course, explain it now with a verse of the Quran, which God revealed through His last Prophet Muhammad, about fourteen hundred years ago. 

In verse 3:7, the Quran says:

He is the One Who has revealed to you [Muhammad] the Book. Some of its verses are decisive-they are the foundation of the Book while others are allegorical. Those whose hearts are infected with disbelief,  follow the allegorical part to mislead others and give their own interpretation, seeking for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah.  … Those who are well grounded in knowledge say: We believe in it; it is all from our Lord. But none will take heed except the people of understanding.


Reverend, if we reflect on the contents of the above passage, we shall see that God wants to test the people’s faith in Him, according to the degree, depth, and the integrity of their commitment to His will and command. He wants to do it through the combination of clear and confusing statements in His Scriptures.  He says people whose faith in God is low, shallow, or shaky usually prefer to go by the self-made interpretation of those allegorical or metaphorical verses, which eventually deviate them from the plain, simple, and straight path of God. But people whose faith in God is pure and perfect, believe everything in the revealed scriptures comes from God, but they only follow those instructions which are plain, simple and easy to understand and follow. 

No comments: