Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Letter 6: True Meaning and Implication of the Name “Christ” and “Word”

True Meaning and Implication of the Name “Christ” and “Word”

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
—John 8:31–32

Reverend Franklin Graham:

In my last letter, I mentioned that Muhammad was sent after Jesus as his testifier fulfilling his prediction and prayer and also making him free from all the myths and misconceptions that his followers began cherishing about him as the integral parts of their faith. In this letter, I intend to discuss some of Jesus’ popular names or titles which his followers took to be completely mystic, mysterious, or “divine” in nature, and finally it led them to worship Jesus as God or as His equal. Let us begin with his name “Christ.”

While studying our Holy Scriptures, the Bible and the Quran, I find the name Christ is neither mystical nor mysterious. It is rather, a misunderstood or a misinterpreted name. Some of my missionary friends tried to convince me that Jesus was an inseparable part of God. They believed the name Christ was meant exclusively for their Lord, who appeared to them later as God incarnate. According to their explanation, the name Christ was kept hidden by God Himself, from the beginning of His creation for His only begotten. So when Jesus was born without a father and was referred to in the Bible as the “Christ,” some of the overly enthusiastic men took him for the “Son of God or God’s only begotten in human flesh.”

After I read about it in the Bible, the Quran, and other religious books written by many learned and renowned scholars, both Christians and non-Christians, I found the true meaning and the implication of the name Christ was completely different from what they believed to be absolutely true.

Both “Christ” and “Messiah” are synonymous

The word Christ comes from the Greek word “Christos,” meaning anointed or appointed. And Christos was translated into Greek from the Hebrew word “mashiyach,” which also means to anoint, to rub, or to appoint. In Arabic, it is called “masih,” meaning simply a chosen or appointed messenger of God.

There is a long-rooted tradition among the Jews regarding their religious faith and practices. They used to anoint their prophets, priests, or kings ceremonially before they held their position, rank, or authority. Accordingly, the person who was anointed or appointed in this way was also called Messiah or Christ by their people.
There are many instances in the Holy Bible that tell us how the procedure of getting someone anointed took place among the Jews.

  And Moses took the anointing oil, and anointed the tabernacle and all that was therein, and sanctioned them. (Leviticus 8:10)

Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him [David] in the midst of his brethren … … (1 Samuel 16:13)

He is the tower of salvation for his king: and sheweth mercy to his anointed, unto David, and to his seed for evermore. (2 Samuel 22:51)

Thus saith the Lord to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, … (Isaiah 45:1)

           There are many verses in both the Bible and the Quran where we have been told the desperate, deprived, and God-fearing people used to wait eagerly for the arrival of some designated messengers who they called Messiahs. The people usually came to know about their arrival through the prediction of other messengers who were sent before them. The example of Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad could be cited, for instance.  Common people used to wait eagerly for their promised Messiahs to come and to save them from the injustice and suffering in the hands of their oppressors.  Accordingly, both “Christ and “Messiah” are synonymous and refer to a chosen Messenger of God. Let me justify my point in the light of our Holy Scriptures, the Bible and the Quran.

             The woman saith unto him (Jesus), I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25–26)

          And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. (John10:23–24)

[Remember] When the angels said, O Mary! Verily, Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [be] from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus … … (Quran 3:45)

Other prophets also had God-given names and titles

Reverend, it was not Jesus alone, many other chosen messengers of God also received their names and titles from God Himself. Let me quote here a few instances from the Bible and the Quran both.

  And the angel of the Lord said unto her [Hagar], Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shall call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. (Genesis 16:11)

          And God said, Sarah thy wife [by this time God had changed Abram’s name to Abraham and his wife, Sarai’s, name to Sarah] shall bear thee a son indeed; ; and thou shalt call his name Isaac. … … (Genesis 17:19)

And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. (Genesis 35:10)

There are many verses in the Quran, where Abraham was called Hanif, meaning upright by nature and worshipper of none but One True God. And in other places, he was also called  Khalilullah, meaning friend of Allah.

          Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to Allah, does good and follows the way of Abraham-the Hanif. For Allah did take Abraham as His Khalil [friend]. (Quran 4:125)

Moses was also called “Kalimullah,” meaning  to whom God spoke directly.

          And Messengers We have mentioned to you before, and Messengers We have not mentioned to you, and to Moses Allah spoke directly. (Quran 4:164)

The Quran also tells us that Jesus was named “Masih,” meaning the Christ or a designated messenger of God. He was also called “Kalima” meaning “Be” the commanding word of God.

[Remember] When the angels said, O Mary! Verily, Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [Be] from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus. (Quran 3:45)

In many places of the Quran, Muhammad, the last prophet of God, was called Nabial Ummi, meaning Unlettered Prophet.  He was also addressed as  Khataman nabiun, meaning the  Seal of the Prophets,  and also Rahmatal-lil-aalamiin,  meaning  a blessing for the whole world.

Those who follow the Apostle—the unlettered prophet [Muhammad] whom they find mentioned in the Torah and the Gospel; for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil. (Quran 7:157)

          Muhammad is not the father of any of your men but (he is) the Apostle of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets. (Quran 33:40)

            Reverend, it is interesting to note here that Jesus was not given any special name or title, like his predecessors Abraham and Moses or his successor, Muhammad. I think that God, being the omnipresent and omniscient, knew perfectly well that a day would come soon after Jesus, when his followers would worship him as God, by forgetting his true status or position or by ignoring the crystal clear instruction of His first commandment. So by the name “Christ,” God simply wanted them to know and remember that Jesus was only one of His messengers and he was sent to earth for the guidance of his own people, the misguided Jews. (Matthew15:24) 

The status of God is unattainable

Muslims believe the status of God is unattainable, because He is the Creator, the Controller and the Sustainer of the entire heavens and earth and everything that comes in between. So the status of God is the highest of all and it could in no way be attained by any of His created things. The Muslims, therefore have no clue at all why Jesus, whom God created in his mother’s womb by His command and later chose him for the guidance of his own people, should be worshipped like God for having his name Christ, the meaning of which is Messiah or a chosen messenger of God?

An unexpected visitor

Something quite unexpected happened, when I was in the middle of my writing. I was visited by a young missionary lady with a copy of Bible in her hand. I felt myself quite excited to know that I could share with her certain things about Jesus, especially at that moment, when I was writing about his true status and mission in the light of the Bible and the Quran both.
This woman was probably in her mid-forties, tall, slim, and light-skinned. She also looked very smart and dignified in her white blouse and long black skirt that matched well with her black cap and black shoes. I took a moment to appreciate a perfect blend of beauty and brightness standing right before me, after I opened the door at the first knock. 
While walking to the living room, she, let’s call her Mrs. Martha Miller, told me she was a teacher of science in the local high school and a volunteer worker for the local Church of the Trinity. I also told her a few things about me. She looked happy when I said to her that I was also a teacher like her before I came to America. But she seemed to me a little reserved when I told her that I was a Muslim and a bit apprehensive when I mentioned to her my special love and respect for Jesus as a mighty messenger of God.
          We sat in our living room couches face to face besides a coffee table the top of which was loaded with my lap, a copy of the Bible, two books on the meaning of the Quran in English, several books on Islam and Christianity along with notepads, pencil holders, a bottle of water and a box of soft tissue. Mrs. Miller was kind enough to ignore the mess and exclaimed happily, “Oh, my God, do you read the Bible?”
“Yes Madam.  It is a copy of the King James Version.”
“Same is mine. But as far as I know your Holy Book is Quran, Right?” She asked me while putting her own copy of the Bible at the corner of the table.
“Right.  But a Muslim is required to believe in all the messengers of God equally and what God revealed to them for the guidance of their people. ”
“Really? But I know many Muslims who practically avoid us when they find us at their door with a Bible.”
“Maybe, they are too busy to waste their time on something which they already know.    
  “You mean they also read the Bible as they read the Quran?”
           “No, I mean they already have learnt from the Quran what God revealed to Jesus, Moses, Abraham and other prophets of God who were sent before Muhammad.” Then I added in a hurry, “But my case is different. I’ve been reading the Bible very seriously for the last one year.”
           “Very interesting” She remarked. “May I please know why?”
  “Sure. I have a website where I’ve been writing about Jesus as I found him in the Quran and also in the Gospel. So, when I saw you first, I felt you were God-sent, because you arrived at that moment when I was trying to understand a verse in the Gospel that I found very confusing.”
         “May I please know which verse?”
“It is the first verse in John 1. Do you want me to read?” I picked up the Bible from the table and opened it.
“Just give me a second,” she said, while turning over the pages of her Bible. Then she stopped, saying, “Yes, here it is. You may now read.”
It was a short verse, but I tried to read it slowly and as correctly as possible with my unavoidable foreign accent. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)
After I finished reading, I said to her politely, “I feel confused, because some of my missionary friends told me the ‘Word’ in the verse refers to Jesus and God both. Do you think that, too?”
“Yes, absolutely,” Mrs. Miller confirmed, making me both shocked and surprised.
“But the verse did not mention anything about Jesus. So I don’t understand what makes you think the ‘word’ here refers to Jesus?  And if it does, how could Jesus and God be one and the same?”
          “I understand your confusion. But, you need to remember that the verses of the Bible are complementary to one another. So to understand the meaning of verse 1, you also have to read the verse 14 below it.”  So saying, Mrs. Miller put her index finger on verse 14, which I read no less than twenty times, since I intended to write about Jesus in reply to your comment about the God of Islam being different from the God of the Judeo-Christian Faith.
Then she said, “Okay, let me read the verse and explain to you.”  And, I heard her read in her soft, sweet, and well-modulated voice. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory of as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)
After she finished reading, she looked up at me and then said with tone of assurance, “I think now you can see the connection, because this verse has mentioned clearly the ‘Word,’ referring to God in verse 1, was made flesh. It means God appeared Himself in the physical form of Jesus and then dwelled among the people, with full of grace and truth. In that case, what choice do we have but to believe the Word refers to God and Jesus both, meaning both are one or the same?” She sounded absolutely cool and confident.
I kept quiet for a while and then said with a bit hesitation, “Please excuse me of my shortcomings. But there are some elements in the verses 1 and 14 that I still find confusing. For example, you said the ‘Word’ in both the verses refers to God and Jesus equally. But I really don’t see how, because the ‘Word’ did not come into existence by itself. It needed to be made flesh in the physical form of Jesus and be sent to earth to dwell among the people, Right?”
“Yes, it is what the verse said.”
“But, I really don’t understand how the Maker and being made or the sender and being sent can be accepted as one and the same?”
          “I think you have missed here one thing,” said Mrs. Miller. “It was God Himself who made Him appear in the form of Jesus. So the question of the Maker and being made does not arise here.”
Do you want me believe that it was God Himself who begot Him in the womb of Virgin Mary and then manifested Himself on earth through Jesus? But I kept my question to myself and said to her, “But I still have some confusion. The verse 14 has mentioned beholding of his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father in parenthesis. Do you have any idea why did God mention His appearance through Jesus in the parenthesis?”
“Frankly speaking, this type of question does not bother a true follower of Jesus, because whatever the Bible says, within the parenthesis or without it, we believe and accept them as the words of God, without having any doubt in it.”
          After this straightforward answer, I thought I should better stop mentioning anything to her from the Gospel, and start telling her what the Quran has said about Jesus’ being “the word of God”.  May be, she would find my explanation more reasonable than what she just explained to me. So, I said to her supporting, “Sure. A true believer should take the words of God very seriously. I think you will be happy to know that we also believe Jesus as the “Word of God”.
            “Really?”    
             “Yes. And, we also don’t mind to believe that Jesus remained with God as His Word from the beginning.”
              “Then why can’t you accept him being equal to God?”
               “We can’t, because we believe it is not only Jesus, everything in the creation of God has remained with Him in His ultimate plan and then comes into existence according to His will or command. There are many verses in the Quran where we have been told that whenever God wants to do anything, He just says to it, ‘Be,’ and it is. 

“Same thing happened when God wanted Mary to conceive her son without a father. He just commanded, “Be,” and she conceived.  Let me read a few verses of the Quran from my lap in support of that.” So saying, I went to a particular file on my lap and read to her three verses that I quoted below.

She [Mary] said: ‘O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has ever touched me?’ He said: ‘Even so. God creates what He wills; when He decides to do anything, He only says to it, ‘Be’ and it is! (3:47)

          ….Allah gives you [Zachariah] glad tidings of Yahya [John the Baptist] confirming the Word from Allah [meaning the creation of Jesus by His commanding word ‘Be’]. (3:39)
                          
Verily, the likeness of Jesus before Allah is as the likeness of Adam. He created him (Adam) from dust, then He said to him: “Be” and he was. (3:59)

           After I finished reading, I looked at Mrs. Miller and said, “I hope now you know why the Muslims have no problem accepting Jesus as the ‘Word’ of God but have a problem accepting him as God?”
Mrs. Miller did not answer.

The Bible says, “Let there be” and the Quran says, “Be”

            Luckily, by this time I had completed most of the books of the Bible, beginning with Genesis, and I remembered very well how the creation of God first came into existence. So I said to her politely, “Mrs. Miller, you certainly have read the book of Genesis and also remember how God created light and other things of His creations, Right?” 
          Mrs. Miller looked apprehensive and said, “Yes I do.”
         “Then you certainly remember what happened when God wanted to create light. He said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. So He said with His other creations. Doesn’t it tell us that, I asked her politely, “ both in the Bible and the Quran, God used more or less the same commanding word to bring things into existence?”
           After a moment of silence, I said to her again,  So, I don’t understand how could we consider the Commander and His commanding word “Be” as one and the same?” 
“May I please know, Mrs. Miller asked “if everything in the world came to existence by His Commanding Word “Be,” why then Jesus alone was called the “Word of God?”
            “Good question.  I also pondered over the matter for quite some time. Then I thought Jesus was called so only to remind the people how his virgin mother conceived him by the will and the command of God so that they could always remember why Jesus was called ‘Word’ or why he could not be God Incarnate because of his birth without a father. ”      
           “I wish I could stay with you longer and talk about Jesus more, but I have to leave now to attend a seminar in my church.” Mrs. Miller said to me apologetically while looking at her wristwatch.
        “Sure. But I thank you very much for giving me a chance to talk about Jesus so freely.”   
           “Don’t mention it, please. Talking to you about Jesus had also been a great pleasure to me.”
          “Thanks. I think, the more we talk about Jesus, the better we know about him.” I said to her honestly.
          “You are right.”  Then Mrs. Miller surprised me saying, “I’ll come again soon to talk with you. I promise.”
           “Thanks. I’ll be waiting for you.”
   We shook our hands warmly and she left gracefully after I opened the door and held it for her.

Interpretation of the “Word” as found in the Modern Versions of the Bible.
         
             Reverend, a few weeks after Mrs. Miller left, I had a chance to read the interpretation of the “Word” in John 1.1 and few other verses of the Gospel in some Modern Versions of the Bible, which I like to share with you and with my other readers-both Christians and non-Christians.
              Modern scholars of the Bible tell us that in the original Greek manuscript, the Word was used to mean divine or god, and it was never used to mean Divine or God. Accordingly, the New World Translation of the Bible has translated John 1:1 as follows:

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was divine.

The Dictionary of the Bible by John McKenzie translates John 1:1 as follows:

         The word was with God [the Father] and the word was a divine being.

       They actually confirm those verses of the Quran where Jesus was addressed as the “word” of God and was described as being noble, chaste, righteous, and close to God.( 3:39, 3:45, 3:47)

On Jesus’ Incarnation: Points to ponder

Reverend, I think, it will not be irrelevant, if I mention here another essential element of your faith related to Jesus’ incarnation, meaning God manifested Himself in flesh through Jesus. I would like to draw your attention to the following statement, which I have quoted below from the Grolier’s Encyclopedia, for your kind perusal.

          Incarnation denotes the embodiment of a deity in human form. The idea occurs frequently in mythology. In ancient times, certain people, especially kings and priests, were often believed to be divinities. In Hinduism, Vishnu is believed to have nine incarnations, or Avatars. For Christians, the incarnation is a central dogma referring to the belief that the eternal son of God, the second person of the Trinity, became man in the person of Jesus Christ. The incarnation was defined as a doctrine only after long struggles by early Church Council. The Council of Nicaea (325 CE) defined the deity of Christ against Aryanism; the Council of Constantinople (381 CE) defined the full humanity of the incarnate Christ against Apollinarianism; the Council of Ephesus (431 CE) defined the unity of Christ’s person against Nestorianism; and the council of Chalcedon (451 CE) defined the two natures of Christ, divine and human, against Eutyches.

The above statement makes it absolutely clear how Jesus, the son of Mary, was gradually turned into a human God or became an object of worship by his followers, after he left.

        The only verse quoted so far to validate the doctrine of incarnation was also proved to be a forgery about six centuries after Jesus’ ascent to heaven. It is also interesting to note here that after its official injunction to the Christian faith, the Council of Churches needed biblical evidence to fulfill their purpose. They made a subtle change in 1Timothy 3:16. Please have a look how this verse was read before and after the incarnation was made an essential doctrine of the Christian faith.
          1 Timothy 3:16, as read before the sixth-century amendment:  And without ceremony great is the mystery of godliness: which was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
         
          1 Timothy 3:16, as read after the sixth-century amendment:  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.


Reverend, I hope you will now agree with me that how a subtle change in a word or words may create a heaven to earth difference in the meaning or understanding the message of a particular issue. But for the truth-seeking people, it is a matter of great relief that the Modern Versions of the Bible have been trying to detect those changes and to bring them to the knowledge of the public. 

No comments: