Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Letter 11 : Jesus Never Said or Did Anything but by the Command of God

Jesus Never Said or Did Anything but by the Command of God

“Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my father: but go to my brethren and say unto them, I ascend unto my father, and your father, and to my God, and to your God.”
—John 20:17

Reverend Franklin Graham:

In my last letter, I have tried to explain those statements of Jesus that were metaphoric in nature. But they were misunderstood or misinterpreted to such an extent that his followers began to worship him as God or along with God after his ascent to heaven by ignoring the crystal clear instruction of the first commandment (Mark 12:29-30) that he preached and practiced himself all through his life. In this letter, I’d try to draw your attention to some of his most plain and simple statements where he made his own status absolutely clear from the eternal and unattainable status of God.   

God is greater than all and Jesus, too.

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all. (John 10:29)

 … … … If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: For my Father is greater than I. (John 14:28)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, the servant is not greater than his Lord; neither, he that is sent greater than he that sent him. (John 13:16)

  

Jesus was sent by God for the guidance of his own people.

But he [Jesus] answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matthew 15:24)

        And he [Jesus] said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent. (Luke 4:43)

     I must work the works of him [God] that sent me. (John 9:4)

    Jesus cried and said, he that believeth in me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me. (John 12:44)

Jesus never said or did anything but by the command of God.

Then Jesus said unto them, when ye have lifted up the son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my father hath taught me, I speak of these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. (John 8:28–29)

For I have not spoken of myself, but the Father which sent me, He gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak. (John 12:49–50)

Jesus does not judge, but God does.

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. (John 12:48)

Jesus does not forgive; his Father does.

Then said Jesus, Father, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)

Jesus prayed to God more when he was in agony

And they came to a place  … and he [Jesus] saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray. (Mark 14:32)

 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. (Luke 6:12)

And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Luke 22:44)

Reverend, in the verses I quoted above, Jesus made it absolutely clear that he often prayed to God and he prayed to Him more when he was in distress. Now the question is, if Jesus and God were one and the same, who prayed to whom?

Jesus taught his disciples how to pray to God.

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive our sins; for we also forgive everyone that is indebted to us. And lead us not unto temptation; but deliver us from evil. (Luke 11:2–4)

Here we see that Jesus not only prayed to God himself, but he also taught his disciples how to pray to God and to ask Him to forgive their sin, deliver them from evil, protect them from temptation, and to provide them with their daily bread. Do you think Jesus would teach them so if he did not believe himself that God was their only Lord, the provider, the protector, the redeemer of their sin, and the disposer of all affairs?

Jesus had nothing on which to lay his head.

 … … Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of man Hath not where to lay his head.(Luke 9:58)

There are plenty of verses in the Bible and the Quran both, where we have been told repeatedly that God was the Creator and the controller of the entire heavens and the earth and everything that exists in them, belonged to Him. But here we see Jesus, whom you worship as God or as His equal, admitting himself openly that he had no place to lay his head, when foxes and birds have.

Jesus needed strength from heaven.

And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. (Luke 22:43)
            
             In the verse 110 of the Chapter 5 in the Quran, God says to Jesus, O Jesus, son of Mary! Recall my favor upon you and to your mother, how I strengthened you with the Holy Spirit.     

Reverend, could you please tell us why Jesus needed strength from an angel, if he were God or His equal? You have no acceptable answer for that. But according to the description of both the Gospel and the Quran, we came to know, Jesus needed that strength to carry out his assignment as a messenger of God.

Jesus became vulnerable at his last hour

And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
          O my father, if this cup may not pass away from me: except I drink it, thy will be done. (Matthew 26:39, 42)

In the above-quoted verses, Jesus has expressed his state of mind clearly, first as a common and an ordinary human being and then as a true messenger of God. As a man of flesh and blood, Jesus expressed his weakness and vulnerability in a crucial situation like facing death on the Cross. But then as a true messenger of God, he showed to us his complete surrender to the will and the command of God and to accept gracefully what He has desired for him.

Jesus felt himself deserted of God’s mercy in the ninth hour.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, E-li, E-li, la`-ma sa-bach` tha-ni? That is to say, my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46)

I think, this one statement in the Gospel is enough to prove that though Jesus was a mighty messenger of God and submitted himself completely to His will and command, he was also a mortal human being and therefore he could not help himself feeling deserted of God’s mercy or expressing his grievances to Him openly, when he found his death on the Cross was imminent on a false charge against him made by his own people.   

Jesus was ignorant of the last hour.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

In the above quoted statement, we find Jesus has included himself with the rest of mankind who are ignorant of the last hour. Do you think that Jesus, whom you claim as God or His equal, was ignorant of such an important or major event like the end of this existing world? But the fact is that by admitting his own ignorance about the last hour, Jesus proved again undoubtedly that he was not God but he was a true messenger of God. And like all His messengers, Jesus also admitted honestly that no one was aware of the last hour except God.

Who is that God Jesus refers to in each of the following verses?

            Reverend, none of my missionary friends was able to give me a satisfactory or acceptable answer when I asked them who were that God Jesus referred to in each of the verses that I quoted below from different parts of the Gospel. I hope, you might help me to know the answer.   

Hear, O’ Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this the first commandment. (Mark 12:29–30)

Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shall thou serve. (Luke 4:8)

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. (John 8:42)

      Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my father: but go to my brethren and say unto them, I ascend unto my father, and your father, and to my God, and to your God. (John 20:17)

     Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)

    At that time, Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth. (Matthew 11:25)

And he said upon him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God. (Matthew 19:17)

          For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. (Mark 3:35)

And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)

But of that day and that hour knoweth  no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. (Mark 11:22)

          But now you seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I heard of God…(John 8:40)

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, E-li, E-li, la`-ma sa-bach` tha-ni? That is to say, my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46)

          Reverend, I’ll be truly happy and grateful to you if you kindly tell me how does the God or the Father Who Jesus has mentioned in each and every verse I quoted above, become Jesus and God both equally and at the same time?

Jesus’ miraculous birth in Support of his being equal to God

In spite of those clear evidences or explanation, many of my missionary friends used to claim Jesus was more than a prophet.
“May I please know how much more is it that you could worship him like God?”
 In reply to that, one of my young missionary friends, a college student, mentioned to me of Jesus’ miraculous birth and I opposed him saying, that Adam’s birth was more miraculous than his, because Adam had neither father nor mother. He also did not go through the normal procedure of child-birth like the rest of the mankind. But except for being born to a virgin mother, Jesus’ birth was similar to any of us.

          Looking at his impassive face, I told him again, “Okay, if the instance of the Quran does not impress you that much, then let me read to you first four verses of chapter 7 from the book of Hebrew. I’m sure you will find it more stunning than Jesus’ birth without a father.” Then I read to him the first four verses from the book of Hebrew.

On Mel-Chis-E-Dec’s arrival

For this Mel-Chis`-E-Dec, king of Sa`-lem priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. (Hebrews 7:1–4)

After I finished reading, I asked him, “Don’t you think this great man’s arrival or existence was more miraculous than Jesus, who people of his time knew very well how he was born and what happened to him in the short span of his life?”

Jesus’ miraculous Acts in support of his being equal to God            

In reply to my question, his classmate who came with him reminded me politely of Jesus’ miraculous acts and particularly of his bringing four-days old dead body of his friend Lazarus out of his grave alive. He then read the incident from John 11:39-44 and then said, “You must know that there is none but God Who can control life and death. If Jesus were not God as you think, then,” the young man asked me being very nice and polite, “how could he bring his four days old dead friend back to life?”

       I answered his question with another instance from the book of Ezekiel. I read to him the first ten verses from the chapter 37, where we found a thrilling description of how a Prophet of God turned a whole valley of dried-up bones of a large army of Israel to stand on their feet, alive. Then I asked them both, “Don’t you think, if the status of God could be achieved through one’s acts of miracles, then the other prophet’s chance of being God was invariably better than Jesus?”
         When none of them answered, I said, “In fact, it is not only Jesus or the other Prophet, there are many other messengers of God who also stunned their people by the acts of their miracles. According to the description of both Bible and Quran, we came to know that Abraham remained unburned inside the gulf of fire for three days. Moses turned his dry stick into a live python and also made a path in the middle of the sea with the touch of his stick. Similarly, David made the trees and mountains sing with him in praise of God and his son Solomon could change the course of air by his command. Muhammad also made the moon split in half with the sign of his forefinger. But none of their followers worshipped them as God or along with God, because they knew and believed that God empowered them to perform those miracles to make their people realize His power and glory and to follow His commands that He delivered through them for their guidance. The Gospel also tells us,” I continued, “Jesus’ true followers also believed the same about his acts of miracles. Let me read to you a verse from the Gospel of John before you leave.” Then I read to them the verse 2 from the chapter 3.

The same [Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews] came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.”
        
        After I finished reading, I said to them, “The Quran also says more or less the same thing about Jesus’ acts of miracles. You will find it in the verse 110 of chapter 5.”  


88888888888888888888888888888888888888888

O Jesus, son of Mary! Recount My favor upon you and to your mother, how I strengthened you with the Holy Spirit, so you could speak to the people in cradle  … how you made the figure of a bird out of clay by My permission, and how you breathed into it and changed it into a real bird by My permission. And how you could heal the born blind, and the lepers, by My permission. And how you could bring forth the dead back to life by My permission….

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888             

Both of them left with lots of thanks and appreciations for sharing my knowledge with them.          

The episode of the fig tree also tells us Jesus was no deity, but a man of flesh and blood.

 Reverend, I would like to end this letter with the episode of the fig tree, as described in the Gospel of Mark 11. I have reason to believe this one incident could be an eye-opener to them who believe in Jesus’ deity. On the basis of the quoted verses below, I’ll try to establish Jesus was no deity, but he was a man of flesh and blood who God chose as His messenger for the guidance of his own people-the misguided Jews.   

And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he [Jesus] was hungry:
And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find anything thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter forever. And his disciples heard it.
And they came to Jerusalem: And Jesus went into temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money exchangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;  …
And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. (Mark 11:12–15, 20)

Reverend, while reading of this little episode for the first time, I had a weird feeling about Jesus whom the Muslims love and respect dearly as a mighty messenger of God. I felt weird, because this kind of intolerance, anger, or ill manner was not expected of him, who was often addressed in the Quran as being noble, chaste, righteous, and close to God. How could a rational, righteous, and a beloved person of God curse a tree for its’ failing to provide him with untimely fruits to appease his hunger? Did not his predecessors suffer a lot more torture and torment, hatred and hostility, pains and persecution while striving for the cause of God?

God has His own unique way to save the truth or to expose it

Then, it suddenly occurred to me that God always had His own unique way to save the truth of His message and messengers or to expose and establish it against all falsehood. In this small incident of the fig tree, Jesus, who used to say or do everything by the command of God, left many clear indications for his followers to help them to know about his true status and why he was sent to them. We will now examine those indications that Jesus has left for his people to read, to reflect and to know who he really was, why he was sent for and why they should not worship him as God in any form or manner.  
I already have mentioned before that Jesus was ignorant of the last hour, but now we came to know that he did not know even the season of the fig. If Jesus were God, God incarnate, or one of the Gods in the Trinity, nothing could escape his knowledge. But as Jesus was a man of flesh and blood, this kind of ignorance, obliviousness, or forgetfulness was quite expected and understood.
If Jesus were God, he would be completely free from all kinds of human needs and weakness, like hunger, thirst, fatigue, or frustration, as God really is. But Jesus was a human being like any of us. So he felt hungry and also became very angry when he saw no fruit in the tree to appease his hunger.
If Jesus was the perfect embodiment of both God and man, as you claim, he should be absolutely patient, polite, calm and considerate when he saw that the fig tree had no fruit besides the leaves. Instead, it made him so angry, upset, and offended that he cursed the fig tree and made it barren forever for no fault of its’ own.  In addition to that, his outburst with the common and ordinary sales persons in the temple of Jerusalem also seemed to me quite rude for a godly person like him. I think there are many simple and ordinary persons among his followers, who would score more points than Jesus in the test of patience, manners, and self-control.

Jesus behaved like that on purpose

              In spite of that, I like to believe that Jesus acted like that on purpose and by the inspiration of God. I have quoted before a number of verses from the Gospel where Jesus claimed  that he said or did nothing on his own accord but by the will and the command of God. (John 12: 49-50) On the basis of that, I’ll try to justify my point with an instance from the Gospel.
 In Matthew 15:32–36, we have noticed how Jesus felt the pain of hunger of the multitudes and also fed them in full with a few pieces of bread. In the same way, he could have made the tree full of figs instead of making it barren forever with his curse. But he did not, because he wanted to leave this incident as an eye-opener for all his followers so that they could never mistake him for God but believe he was a man of flesh and blood who God chose to send for the guidance of his own people, the misguided Jews.   

Have faith in God. (Mark 11:22).

 While passing by the fig tree next morning, some of Jesus’ disciples drew his attention to the dried-up fig tree, which he ignored, saying,

Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. (Mark 11:22–23)

With this sermon, Jesus appeared again in his true form, the role of a messenger. He sounded cool and confident when he started teaching his disciples how to keep their faith in God without any question or condition and what they could achieve through the strength of their sincere faith. By this statement, Jesus also wanted them to know that turning a green tree to a dry log was nothing in comparison to moving a mountain from its place and throwing it into the sea, if only they could always remain true to their faith in God and keep it intact or uncontaminated under all circumstances.
               Along with this instance and advice, Jesus also left for his followers some precautionary notes so that they could never deviate from the eternal truth of the First Commandment especially when the false prophets would come with their invented doctrines to deceive them in his name. I have quoted below only a few of them.
           Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. (Matthew 24:4–5)
            But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (Matthew 15:9)
            Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21)
                ……Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
   Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And, if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. (Matthew 15:13-14)
             If you love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)
             Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:9)
             Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. (Mathew 7:7)
             And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:32)

        Reverend, with those guidelines in the Gospel, Jesus also wanted his followers to pay heed to the last Prophet Muhammad who God would send after him fulfilling his prayer and prediction both in John 14:16 and also testifying of his true status and mission in His final and everlasting Guidebook, the Quran. You may read again the letter five where I discussed this matter in details.  



                                        







No comments: